Monday, January 19, 2009

"More" please!

I have to blog quickly about something very special to me. My good friend Tiffani called the other night to tell me her 10 month old daughter, Madison, signed "more" for the first time after she had taken her Cheerios away. I was so excited to hear this news that I thought I'd share a few reasons why signing is important in a child's life.

*Before babies are able to develop their vocal cords they already have their small and large motor skills in place. Babies are able to sign WAY before they are able to talk.

*When parents teach their children how to sign, they feel less frustrated because their baby can communicate earlier in life, which results in a less fussy baby.

*Signing helps babies develop their fine motor skills earlier.

*Research has clearly demonstrated that using sign language does not mean that a child will not learn to talk.

*Many studies have been done on children using sign. One study involved two groups of children, one group that was taught baby signing and another group that was not. The researchers found that eight-year-olds who had learned a simple form of baby sign language using invented signs did better on IQ tests than comparable children who had not learned baby sign language.

*There's no need to make excuses for not helping your baby out anymore! ASL Pro has a baby sign dictionary that shows videos on how to sign a specific word. But remember...consistency is the key!

Ok, I went a bit off my rocker but thought this info is interesting. Many parents don't know the benefits of signing with babies...but here you have it! I hope all of you with babies or future babies follow Tiffani and Trent's lead and give their children the gift of communication. Why not...right?

4 comments:

Nicole said...

I had never heard of teaching babies to sign until I moved to the Northwest. Up here just about everyone I know has taught their kids and they say it's amazing.

Victoria Elder said...

I definately need to teach dax more signs, he knows more & all done...he does more all day long though I think he has lost the meaning...I definately think it is important thanks for that link hopefully I can find some useful signs for us. The "all done" sign has been so useful!

Kara and Colin said...

Ya it's a pretty cool concept. Especially for really young kids, like under 2. Even if it's only a couple signs - they are still very useful!

The Swanson Family said...

adeline has quite a few words now, but she still uses her signs for things... it definately has been better now that she can really get out exactly what she wants. signing is great! I wish I knew it the way that you do, but a few important signs here and there have helped us out!