Sunday, July 12, 2009

Update on Laura's Nepal trip...

Just wanted to update some of you on my sister's trip to Nepal. She will be coming home this Wednesday after a month in Kathmandu and Narti. From the few emails, updates from Justin and her blog, she has had a great time but to see the countries poverty is a bit unbearable. Their culture is completely different from ours and the views on women are especially different.

Laura worked in an orphanage for a couple weeks with girls who have been in slavery and abused. Most of them have scars from being beaten during their time in slavery. Thankfully, they were rescued and now live in the orphanage where they receive care and schooling. They have few possessions and often can't afford the luxuries we have here including fruit, meat and clothes. Most of their meals consist of rice and curry vegetables.

One of the reason's I'm writing this is because my mom and I were just on the phone talking about possibilities for collecting clean, undamaged, used or new clothing to send to these orphanages. If any of you do have items you can donate, I'd love to start collecting them so we can ship them to these little girls who have little to nothing. (ANY sizes, anything you might give to a thrift shop or any of your children's/niece's/nephew's outgrown clothing would be really fabulous.) To me, it puts a new perspective on going out and buying a $60 pair of jeans when it is equal to 4,620 rupees. To give you an idea: a coke is 15 rupees, a skirt is about 400 rupees ($5.20) and a nice meal might cost 77 rupees ($1). It makes me realize how frivolous our culture is and how such a small amount can make a huge difference. Completely eye opening.

If you want to see more about Laura's trip, you can go to her blog at: Laura's Nepal Blog

If anyone has any clothes or contributions to donate, please email me at KaraHandy@gmail.com

I think together we can help makes the lives of these sweet girls a little more happy. Please wish my sister a safe travel home and I'll post more when I have more information to share on her trip!

No comments: